How to Create & Submit Sitemap for a WordPress Website with pictures
Sitemap creation and submission are very important if you really want your content to be index faster on Google and other search engines. A sitemap is something which tells webmasters about the links added, updated or deleted on your website.
Every time when you add a post or page, delete some content on your website or update the content, sitemap gets updated itself and search engines like Google follows sitemap timestamp to evaluate and rank your content accordingly.
We have always said that websites which are updated regularly have high chances of ranking than a non-updated site. Google also wants frequent and fruitful updation.
So, how to create a sitemap and how to submit a sitemap to Google and other search engines? is the main concern now.
If you do not create or submit your sitemap, chances are very hard that your site will rank. If you don’t do it it will come under a big SEO mistake.
WordPress blog or website sitemap creation is very easy. You can do it by installing Yoast SEO or All In One SEO. Both the plugins are suitable for SEO management in WordPress.
Enable Sitemap Creation Using Yoast Plugin
For SEO purpose if you have installed Yoast SEO plugin then follow the steps provided below to enable the sitemap creation.
Once sitemap creation is enabled then you can find it at https://domain-name.com/sitemap.xml
Once installed follow these steps to enable sitemap –
- Navigate to Yoast->General
- Open Features tab
- Find XML Sitemaps settings
- Click on “on” button to enable it
Enable Sitemap Creation Using All In One SEO Plugin
Please keep in mind that you only have to use either All in One SEO or Yoast. Don’t install both the plugins together. Otherwise it will create an issue for your website SEO.
Now follow these simple step to enable your sitemap creation –
- Install and Activate All In One SEO Plugin
- Go to Feature Manager
- Activate the features you want to use like XML Sitemap, Video SEO, Social and More
- Once enabled you can see the XML Sitemap in the menu options of All In One SEO
So, you might be happy. You have performed an important task of blogging which is sitemap creation.
Now we will see, How we can submit this sitemap to Google, Bing and Yandex Webmaster tools?
Sitemap Submission to Webmasters
Generally sitemap submission is done for Google, Bing and Yandex Webmasters. We will see them one by one here. We have focused more on Google Sitemap Submission, you can follow up same for Bing and Yandex.
Sitemap Submission in Google Search Console
Follow the steps to submit your sitemap to Google Search Console –
- Open Google Search Console
- Click Start Now to create an account
- Sign in using your Gmail
- Enter your domain name and click on Add property
- Verify your domain Ownership using any method. The available methods are Html file upload, Html tag, Google Analytics, Google tag manager and Domain name provider.
- Once your domain ownership is verified. Now you are ready to submit your sitemap.
- Go to stemap section and add your sitemap link.
- You are done with the process. Wait for Google to discover, evaluate and index your links.